By using content marketing tactics there is a benefit of reallocating or reducing marketing costs, most companies are recognizing a greater benefit in using content marketing than traditional marketing techniques. With 62% of marketing agencies seeing an increased demand for content marketing and the advantage of content marketing costs being 62% less than traditional marketing.
Content marketing is not just another marketing method, it requires a completely new approach. It isn’t as simple as other marketing tactics and will make your brand stand out in a personalized approach.
What to consider before implementing content marketing into your strategy:
Content marketing seems straight forward but there are a few things to consider before changing your marketing strategy.
- Knowing your audience and goals: Learn your audience profile such as demographics, to maximize the potential of your content and get better results. Know your goals and objectives ahead of your content marketing journey before you start to create different styles of content.
- Quality and Quantity: Customers are wanting higher quality and more transparent content to engage with your brand instead of the amount of content. This makes your brand more personable in the long run where consumers crave authenticity.
- Changing content too frequently: There are constant changes online that marketers should stay on top of. However, changing this too frequently can be detrimental for your brand in terms of finding new customers. Always create content for your audience towards their desires such as what attracted them to your brand and what problems they want to be solved.
Unless you put your content out there in front of your target audience through different social media, email, forums, blogs, and other marketing channels your content is unlikely to make a big impact.
Marketers should follow the 80/20 rule. Spend 20% of your time creating amazing content and 80% of your time promoting it.
Promoting content can be done in many ways but some that you should consider should be:
- Reaching out to influencers in your niche brand.
- Contacting people who have created content like yours.
- Sharing the content on social media.
- Being active on community sites and sharing your content where relevant
How to find success in content marketing:
Set Smart goals:
These should be specific to your business and complement your broader marketing and company goals.
Examples of this can be:
- Improving brand awareness
- Boost revenue
- Improve brand loyalty
- Increase customer engagement
Set related Key performance indicators (KPI) towards your SMART goals:
Key performance indicators are essential in improving your marketing strategy and setting a measure for success. If your brand is focusing on improving brand awareness, KPIs towards this would include looking at social media followers, site traffic, mentions from customers or partners, and engagement with company content.
Be creative with how you choose to advertise your content:
60% of marketers create at least one piece of content each day. Online content for marketing can vary but the most popular strategies include:
- How to Guides
- Short form videos (e.g., Tik-tok)
- Longer form videos (e.g., YouTube)
- Case Studies
- Social media posts
Try and apply any of these with how it would appeal to your target customer and then choose whatever works best for your company in terms of content creation.
If you’re unsure where to start, video and webcasts are becoming one of the most popular content mediums. With statistics such as 92% of mobile video consumers share videos with others, indicating the growing nature of audio-visual forms of information.
Don’t create too much:
With so many diverse mediums available to utilize, produce and publish your content. Each is beneficial in its ways. Don’t make the costly mistake of trying to cover all channels and media and not having enough time to produce content. Don’t launch a YouTube Channel or a podcast if you aren’t going to post regularly and create great content to boost followings.
Instead of hitting all the channels that are available to you, choose a couple to start with. If writing is your specialty, then start with a blog and then eventually branch out to guest blogs and start posting on social media. Focus firstly on one medium, publish consistently, and win an audience base, before jumping over to the next opportunity.
Analyze and measure the results:
Creating a benchmark and incorporating content marketing techniques, helps ensure that you can make any necessary changes to enhance your content marketing efforts and reach more audience members. This can be fixed by assessing your SMART goals and KPIs to determine the success of your content marketing strategy. Did you achieve your goals and KPIs? Were you close to reaching them? What do you need to change or improve for the future?
With over 2.9 billion users on social media, companies should be using more content marketing. Learning how to implement it in a way that suits your brand is a difficult obstacle but one that’s needed to grow your brand to achieve its goals and develop the amount of new and loyal customers. If you have any questions regarding your marketing, get in contact with one of our marketing experts at Marketing Eye today!
Thanks to Brooke Lark from Unsplash for the image!